You've successfully slain the dragon! How will you toast your marshmallows?

Sunday, November 8, 2009

I Got Bats In The Bimini (not the belfry)

What a gorgeous day on the Chesapeake. The sun was shining and the temperature kissed the 70 degree mark. Would have been a perfect day to be out on the water. Unfortunately my plans were quite the opposite; it's time to start the winterizing process and get Carina ready to come out of the water for the winter.

I managed to empty the fresh water systems and run non-toxic antifreeze through the tanks/lines, flushed the AC system with the same and even got her washed (sun was warm and winds were light). In addition, I also removed both sails (main & genoa).

I started to take the canvas down until I noticed something in the top underside of the bimini; it was a bat that I guess took refuge from the sun. Needless to say I decided to leave the canvas alone for the present. I guess I will have to go over after dusk one evening to remove after the bat has flown away for it's nighttime meals. Hopefully it finds a new home.


No comments: