This large southern constellation lies in one of the most beautiful parts of the sky. Carina is a Southern Circumpolar constellation, so only a very few in the Northern Hemisphere can see it.
The constellation Carina is known as the Keel, which is the bottom part of old ships. Carina was originally a part of Argo Navis, which was a huge boat in the night sky. It has since been divided into four constellations: Carina, Puppis, Vela and Pyxis.
Many civilizations believed Carina was a ship. In classical myth, Argo Navis was the ship of Jason and the Argonauts, who sailed the seas in search of the Golden Fleece. Others say the ship belonged to Menelaus, husband of Helen of Troy. The ancient Egyptians say the ship belonged to Osiris and Isis.
The brightest star in Carina is called Canopus. It is actually the second brightest star in the sky behind Sirius. The famous Keyhole Nebula is located just below the circle in the constellation. It is one of the most watched nebulae in the sky, and scientists say it will become a supernova.
- CARINA is a constellation of the southern sky.
- CARINA is the Latin word for keel.
- CARINA, in architecture, was the name Ancient Romans gave for any building in the form of a ship.
- CARINA is an Italian word, the meaning is "pretty" (female).
- CARINA is a female given name with Italian origin, its meaning is "The Pretty Girl".
- CARINA was said to be the mother of Niall of the Nine Hostages.
- The "CARINA" was a United States Navy ship.
- CARINA (The Pretty Girl) is home to us.